- If you don’t want the cookies
What are cookies?
A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a small piece of data sent from a website and stored in the user’s browser while he or she is browsing that website. Every time the user loads the website, the browser sends the cookie back to the server to notify the website of the user's previous activity.
In essence, a cookie is a simple text file stored on your computer or mobile device by a website’s server and only the same server will be able to read this cookie. Every will contain some anonymous information such as a unique identifier, website name and a digital code.
Cookies were designed as a reliable technology for websites to:
- authenticate the user, keep the user logged in, making your work with the website faster and easier
- remember important information like favourite items or preferences
- analyze the user’s browsing activity and show the most relevant pages, without the need to click through all pages of the site again
- gather analytical data to improve the functionality and website experience for all users
There are two types of cookies:
- Session cookies are stored only temporarily during a browsing session and are deleted from the user’s device when the browser is closed. We use these cookies, for example, to keep you logged in during your visit
- <strong>Persistent cookies</strong> are saved on your computer for a fixed period (usually a year or longer) and is not deleted when the browser is closed. We use persistent cookies to know who you are and build long-term relationship. So that, for example, next time you visit you will get to the most relevant page unlike the first-time visitor who sees the home screen. You can delete our cookies at any time through your browser settings and become a new visitor for us again.
If you don’t want the cookies
Although cookies cannot carry viruses or malware, some users do not like the idea of a website storing information on their computer or mobile due to privacy concerns. If you prefer, it is possible to block some or all cookies, or delete cookies that have already been gathered. This will likely affect the functions of the websites and remove any personalization features that are provided through cookies.
If you decide to restrict or block web browser cookies which are set on your device, you can do this by accessing your browser or device settings. Detailed instructions may be found in the help section of your browser.
Many of the Lobster marketplace features will be available to the user without the cookies, however your experience will be less smooth and simple than what we have created for you. For example, you are likely to be required to login again every time you are trying to purchase a license for a photo or video you liked, or when going visit your account profile.